Crab Cakes With Roasted Vegetables
This was the first time I attempted crab cakes and, I gotta say, pretty proud of myself. These are so delicious! And not bad for you either! Double thumbs up! We liked it so much, we bought more crab to make these again this week. That’s how good they are.
Yum! Crabbies ready to get fried up!
The vegetables make a perfect side dish to round out the meal (even better because we already had all the ingredients on hand! I added any veggies we happened to have (new potatoes, zucchini, carrots, green beans) and I think you could easily adapt this part to your liking.
The butter sauce could use a little more flavor I think. Maybe add a little more garlic next time. Overall, great meal! Definitely a keeper.
Crab Cakes With Roasted Vegetables and Tangy Butter Sauce
Recipe courtesy Cooking Light
1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon style mustard
3/4 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
1 1/2 cups panko japanese breadcrumbs, divided
21 baby carrots (about 12 ounces)
5 small red potatoes, quartered
4 medium shallots, halved lengthwise
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 ounces haricots verts, trimmed
2/3 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons chopped shallots
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
1. To prepare crab cakes, combine first 7 ingredients in medium bowl. Gently fold in crabmeat. Gently stir in 3/4 cup panko. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
2. Divide crab mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/2 cup each); shape each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Place remaining 3/4 cup panko in a shallow dish. Working with 1 patty at a time, dredge in panko. Repeat procedure with the remaining patties and panko.
3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat both sides of crab cakes with cooking spray. Add 4 crab cakes to pan; cook 7 minutes. Carefully turn cakes over; cook 7 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, cooking spray, and remaining 4 crab cakes.
4. Preheat oven to 450.
5. To prepare vegetables, leave root and 1-inch stem on carrots; scrub with a brush. Combine carrots, potatoes, and shallots in a small roasting pan. Coat vegetables with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes, turning once. Coat haricots verts with cooking spray. Add haricots verts to vegetable mixture; toss. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
6. To prepare sauce, combine broth, shallots, and vinegar in small saucepan; bring to boil. Cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 4 minutes); remove from heat. Stir in butter. Serve with crab cakes and vegetables.